Humans have harnessed nature as a source of restorative power for thousands of years. Even still, many people around the world pass natural remedies down from generation to generation. The healing properties of these naturally derived ingredients are touted by many as being extensive and rich with possibilities. Remedies such as herbal teas, supplements and home-made tinctures are believed by many to improve health and even prevent conditions from worsening or reoccurring.
Nowadays, the most ubiquitous natural treatments are herbal supplements.
What are herbal supplements?
Herbal supplements are derived from plants and their flowers, oils, roots, berries or seeds. Unlike modern medicines synthesized in a lab, countless herbal products have been used for centuries to help improve health and general well-being.
These natural supplements come in many different forms and can be used internally or externally. Some of these forms include:
- Liquid extracts
- Bath salts
Nearly all prescription drugs are synthesized in labs from chemicals, but herbal supplements are created directly from plant matter. They originate from the days before access to other kinds of medicine and treatments. It’s never too late to embrace the power of nature and live holistically by adding herbal supplements to your health regime. (1)
Why take Highland Pharms herbal supplements?
Years ago, when hemp was only grown overseas, Highland Pharms set out to search for the best quality extracts to use in their CBD products. They wanted to ensure their customers would only get the cleanest and purest extracts. But their efforts also proved to be fruitful in other ways. In the research process, they discovered several non-hemp alternatives they believed their customers could benefit from.
These included several potent herbal substances, whose quality was difficult to find elsewhere. After serious consideration, Highland Pharms added them to their lineup of products and years later, they’re still popular among customers. Here at Buena Vida Botanicals, we believe these herbal supplements are the perfect complement to a healthy lifestyle.
What are the benefits of natural supplements?
There are thought to be many different benefits to using herbal supplements. Some believe they may aid in the treatment or alleviation of specific medical conditions, and fuel people with extra strength and stamina. Here are some other possible benefits:
- Immune system boost
- Enhancing hair and skin quality
- Reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Improvement of memory
- Weight loss
If you’re taking supplements or thinking about starting them, make sure to exercise caution. Although they can be purchased over the counter, they still pose potential risks—particularly if you take other prescription medicines. Conduct your own research and speak to a healthcare professional to ensure your safety.
Which supplements should I use?
Your best choice of supplements simply comes down to what you’re trying to achieve. Identifying your intentions will help you to choose the right product. Here’s a brief overview of the Highland Pharms supplements we currently stock, with information on what they’re typically used for:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: A detoxifying blend that may reduce cholesterol and the risk of heart disease.
- Keto+ Metabolism Booster: A super mixture for weight loss that may help maximize the potential for calorie-burning.
- CBD: A hemp extract that may support your overall well-being, believed to have extensive health benefits.
- Moringa: A powder that is vegan-friendly and ingrained with minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants for broader health needs.
- Collagen: An animal protein extract that assists the body with maintaining strong joints, skin, hair and firm skin.
- Mental Boost Blend: A proprietary blend of herbs designed to improve mood and mental energy.
- Beet Root: A wildly popular herb used to improve oxygen levels in blood and improve heart strength.
- Immunity Boost Blend: A proprietary blend of 10 herbs and vitamins designed to substantially enhance your body’s immune system.
- Testosterone Production Enhancement: A blend of herbs designed to maximize the body’s production of the hormone: testosterone.
As you can see, there are some overlaps in benefits and active ingredients of each, but all supplements function uniquely in the body. If you’re looking to make improvements to your health and well-being without turning to synthetic alternatives, there are many natural solutions out there for you to try.
Are herbal supplements safe to use?
Before incorporating any new herbal supplements into your diet, it’s recommended that you speak to your doctor. They can give you tailored advice, based on your medical history and conditions. Taking certain herbal supplements alongside certain prescribed medicines can cause serious health problems. If you regularly take prescription medication or over-the-counter medicines such as aspirin, digoxin or any diuretics, DO NOT begin using herbal supplements without speaking to a medical practitioner. (4)
Note: the manufacturing process of herbal products is not yet regulated to a high standard. The FDA does not currently approve most dietary supplements; however, it does monitor the safety of products after they have become available to consumers. The onus is on manufacturers to do the right thing by their customers, and we firmly believe Highland Pharms adheres to this expectation. (2) (3)
Conducting thorough research is the best way to determine which herbal supplements are right for you.
Disclaimer: The information above is based on our independent research. While our team does everything in their power to provide accurate and current information from credible state-run websites and resources, we are not lawyers or legal experts. As such, none of the following information should be interpreted as legal advice. Content on these pages is provided for informational purposes only and those with legal concerns should consult experts within their state, such as the FDA.
- “Herbal Supplements,” Source: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/15829-herbal-supplements
- “What to Know Before You Take Herbal Supplements,” Source: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/ss/slideshow-herbs-supplements-avoid
- “22 Herbas, Vitamins, and Supplements: The Ultimate Guide for RA,” Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/rheumatoid-arthritis/ultimate-guide-herbs-vitamins-supplements
- “Herbal supplements: What to know before you buy,” Source: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/herbal-supplements/art-20046714